If your organization has a physical area where employees work or customers visit, you need to proactively manage the risk of slips, trips, and falls. If you’re not convinced of the severity of these incidents, check out these concerning statistics:
- Over 1,000,000 people annually need emergency medical care due to a slip or fall incident
- 67% of falls are due to slips and trips
- The average cost to defend a slip or fall claim is $50,000
- Hip fractures and traumatic brain injuries are most commonly caused by falls
Each of these accidents have their own common causes.
- Ice and snow
- Faulty or loose rugs and mats
- Recently mopped or waxed floors
- Poor lighting
- Uneven walkways
- Uncovered electrical cords
- Improper use of a ladder
- Loss of balance on stairs
So what can you do as an employer and business owner? Be PROactive: Prevent, Record, and Optimize how you manage risks and hazards.
- Be mindful of common causes and ensure all employees are proactively identifying hazards
- Implement a checklist and walkthrough plan to be performed daily
- Each incident document should include photos, names and contact information, video surveillance footage, and a detailed incident summary
- Analyze the information you have collected on incidents and claims and identify any trends
- Highlight the causes and hazards by frequency and severity and by where they are occurring
- Utilize a risk management information system to automate this process
Is your organization overcome with slip, trip, and fall incidents? ClearRisk's claims, incident, and risk management system allows any property owner to track and mitigate against these incidents.
If you found this article helpful, you may be interested in: